Shaolin small flood kung fu (xiao hong quan)
Channel: Shaolin kung fu
TIP: Right-click and select "Save link as.." to download video
Initializing link download.....
Shaolin kung fu small flood form (小洪拳: xiao hong quan):
- 'strategy': the saying is "conceal from the sky to cross the sea (瞒天过海)." advancement needs crossing the enemy's guard. this puts you in range of enemy's counterattacks. you should not be open and exposed to enemy's attacks. keep covering your attacking limbs, your head, chest, stomach, and other vital parts while advancing and even retreating. this involves continuous flow, like a flood, of sweeping moves of the arms and even sometimes the legs covering the main actions of the body while defending and attacking, advancing and retreating. meanwhile, do not consider these sweeping moves as mere defensive covers, but "pilfer a goat on the way (顺手牵羊)," i.e., seize opportunities to use them cooperate as attacks. this is the main strategy of Shaolin flood style.
- 'history': in the final few years of the Jin dynasty (1115-1234), monk Jueyuan got permission of grand monk Hongwen to collect new information from across the country. in Lanzhou, the capital city of Gansu province, he met master Li Sou, who came to Shaolin together with his son and master Bai Yufeng from Luoyang city after Jueyuan's invitation. Li Sou and his son were masters of a local hong quan style. they had a long hong quan form—which is still practiced at some areas around Shaolin under the name old-frame hong quan or big hong quan. during their stay at Shaolin, they made a smaller version of this form by combining their style with Shaolin temple internal and external styles, and this form was called the 'small hong quan'.
Shaolin kung fu tutorial:
- training: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB9EB410ECABF43C8
- styles: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8F75C68BF1246C2B
- weapons: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE48D537F756421A2