Download video: Shaolin big Buddha kung fu (luohan quan), simplified
Channel: Shaolin kung fu
TIP: Right-click and select "Save link as.." to download video
Initializing link download.....
Shaolin Buddhahood style (罗汉拳: luohan quan):
- 'strategy': Shaolin monks are Buddhists and Buddhahood is their way. "Zen Buddhism and martial art unite (禅拳合一)" in Shaolin kung fu. monks' Amituofo! (阿弥陀佛) salutation is the prayer of infinite life, infinite light, and infinite wisdom, to credit respect and prohibit violence. the "beauty tactic (美人计)" is about camouflaging with peaceful means in order to avoid direct confrontation. for defense, the saying is "the golden cicada sheds its shell (金蝉脱壳)," hide things that draw opponent's attention to you, and for offense the saying is "hide the knife behind a smile (笑里藏刀)," hide your offensive means behind peaceful things. in the Buddhahood style, monks hide their moves behind Amituofo and other holy images of enlightened Buddhists (the luohans in Chinese, the Arhats in Sanskrit). this is either a virtue and a defensive/offensive camouflage. it is all about avoiding violence. in a confrontation, 'peace is better than victory, retreating is the first tactic, avoid rather than oppose, deflect rather than block, block rather than hurt, hurt rather than wound, wound rather than kill, because life is precious, and a life lost is lost forever.' these are the main tactics of Shaolin Buddhahood style.
- 'history': Shaolin monks developed luohan quan as the earliest style based on the luohan 18 hands in the earlier eras of Shaolin temple. at the beginning of the Song dynasty in the 960s AD, this style was first officially recorded into the 'Shaolin kung fu manual' by chief monk Fuju (福居). ever since, it has been considered as the purest and most representative style of Shaolin kung fu.
here, Zhang Shijie teaches the simplified form of big luohan quan, which is usually practiced in Dengfeng county around Shaolin temple, as has been taught by monk Shi Degen, as one form of his 18-form Luohan quan. besides this form, there are some clips of the other forms of his 18-form luohan quan. however, the original Shaolin luohan quan is based on Shaolin small and big luohan quan.
Shaolin kung fu tutorial:
- training: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB9EB410ECABF43C8
- styles: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8F75C68BF1246C2B
- weapons: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE48D537F756421A2