Download video: Shaolin 7-star kung fu (qi xing quan)
Channel: Shaolin kung fu
TIP: Right-click and select "Save link as.." to download video
Initializing link download.....
Shaolin kung fu 7-star and defensive intent style (七星拳&长护心意门: qi xing quan & chang hu xinyi men):
- 'strategy': the saying is "turn from guest into host (反客为主)." the normal logic is that the attacker actively advances and attacks and the defender passively retreats and defends. reverse this, i.e., actively advance while in defensive guard and seize opportunities to make defense act as offense. this is the main strategy of Shaolin defensive style.
- 'history': chang hu xinyi men quan was first created by the Song dynasty (960-1279) monk Huiwei in the early 1100s. it first had about 36 postures. his disciple, monk Haizhou, increased it to about 66 postures. in the late Yuan dynasty (1279-1368), monk Jinnaluo increased it to 72 and monk Zian to 82. in the Ming dynasty (1368-1644), monks Juexun and Tongxiang improved the form. in the Qing dynasty (1644-1912), in the mid 1700s, monk Jiran deleted 28 repetitive postures and later added 30 new postures and it became about 84 postures in total.
meanwhile, after the Yuan dynasty, some Daoist concepts, like astrological notions, were introduced into Shaolin temple via outsider visitors. sometime before the early 1600s, Shaolin monks had developed the qi xing quan, by combining parts of Shaolin xinyi ba style—which imitates daily and farming activities by using harmonious arm movements in small-frame stances—with the astrological notion of the 7 stars—which is another name for the big dipper constellation, and in Chinese martial arts refers to any posture that resembles the big dipper, for example, one arm drawn out and the other arm forming a closed loop by joining it—and with the rooster-imitating gestures and postures. these small-frame 7-star and rooster notions were also combined into the chang hu xinyi men style in the latter edittings that were mentioned above. in this way, the qi xing quan and chang hu xinyi men quan were formed and perfected.
Shaolin kung fu tutorial:
- training: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB9EB410ECABF43C8
- styles: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8F75C68BF1246C2B
- weapons: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE48D537F756421A2