Download video: Shaolin drunken kung fu: form 1
Channel: Shaolin kung fu
TIP: Right-click and select "Save link as.." to download video
Initializing link download.....
Shaolin kung fu drunken style (醉拳: zui quan):
- 'strategy': the drunken style teaches some most unusual tactics. mentally, the saying is "fake foolishness but don't be crazy (假痴不癫)," move totally out of the normal framework of logic. physically it teaches the "self-infliction tactic (苦肉计)," pretending to have injuries or weakness. these cause the opponent to either underestimate and loosen his guard or get confused as how to keep guard. you can even go further and "bait a brick to catch gem (抛砖引玉)," expose some part of your body to lure the opponent attack there, if he does, trap him. these involve unusual drunken-like moves. these are the main tactics of Shaolin drunken style.
- 'history': at the beginning of the Tang dynasty (618-907), in 621 AD, 13 monks from Shaolin temple intervened prominently in a war to help the new dynasty. Li Shimin (李世民), son of the emperor and the commander of the Tang army, appreciated it and endowed the monks with officialdom, land, and wealth, and came to Shaolin temple in ceremony of the victory, and gifted the monks with the permission to disavow the Buddhist rule of not consuming meat and wine. monk Zhishou (智守), one of the 13 monks, had a prior interest in wine before becoming a monk and is said to had been able to drink 5 catties of wine in one breath. following the permission, he grabbed a jar and drank a huge amount of wine. monks blamed him, but fully intoxicated, he challenged the monks in disorder with his staff and then bare hand when disarmed, and could defy a vary large group of monks. the abbot praised this drunken style and it was adopted, refined, and inherited over generations. because of their Buddhist vows, monks did not standardize this style, but most lineages of the monks kept and developed it as their advanced style.
Shaolin kung fu tutorial:
- training: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB9EB410ECABF43C8
- styles: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8F75C68BF1246C2B
- weapons: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE48D537F756421A2